The history of primary education in Tang dates back to 1858 with the establishment of the first Primary school for the area.
The school was to serve the community of Tang for over 100 years and ceased to operate as a school in 1965 when it was replaced with a new school building on a site adjacent, St. Mary's National School, which opened in 1965 as a three-teacher school with three classrooms.
The old schoolhouse has been beautifully renovated and now serves the people of Tang as our community centre.
Our New School
The school was completely refurbished in 2005-2006 and reopened in September 2006 to the delight of all involved. The school was officially opened by Mr. Brian Lenihan, TD., Minister for Children, on April 16th 2007 and blessed by Most Rev Dr Michael Smith, Bishop of Meath.